Chocolate Caramel Candy Apples
Need something relatively quick and painless to make for Halloween or another Fall get together?? Then these Chocolate Caramel Candy Apples should be in your future! My kids had fun throwing nonpareils everywhere (you know I loved that, too) and I got to have fun dipping the apples into the creamy caramel and chocolate. It’ll probably take you 1 or 2 to get the hang of it, but these Chocolate Caramel Candy Apples really aren’t too involved.
Since I used Kraft Caramels that melted easily in the microwave and Ghirardelli Chocolate Melting Wafers that also melted very easily in the microwave these really were quick to make. And since there’s no need for a double broiler to make these, that eliminates a lot of what normally intimidates people about “candy making”. You can decorate these babies with whatever you like – M&M’s, peanut butter chips, toffee chips, sprinkles! Really, anything your heart desires that you can get to stick on that chocolate will work.
I have a feeling that every Fall I’m going to have my kids asking when we’re going to make these Chocolate Caramel Candy Apples. And I definitely will because… can’t I consider this their serving of fruit for the day?? (I totally did.) Happy Halloween!
Chocolate Caramel Candy Apples
- 12 ripe apples, preferably Honey Crisp and/or Granny Smith - washed and dried thoroughly
- 4 - 10 oz. packages Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers
- 4 - 11 oz. packages Kraft Caramels (or Kraft Caramel Bits if you can find them) + 4 tbsp milk
- Optional: 1 - 10 oz. Ghirardelli White Melting Wafers, for drizzling and decorating
- Optional: toppings for sprinkling - sprinkles, nonpareils, M&Ms, toffee chips, peanut butter chips
- 12 lollipop sticks or popsicle sticks
- Stick the lollipop sticks or popsicle sticks into the center of the apple, through the core.
- Line at least 2 baking trays with parchment paper (or wax paper) and get your decorating toppings ready to go - you'll need to sprinkle these onto the chocolate immediately after dipping.
- Microwave 2 bags of unwrapped caramels + 2 tbsp milk at a time. Microwave on high for 1 minute and then stir, place back into he microwave and repeat for approximately 3 minutes or until the caramel is totally melted and smooth.
- When everything is melted, begin dipping the apple into the caramel first - make sure you have it thoroughly coated and let the excess drip off the bottom, it's ok if it doesn't look perfect, it'll be covered with chocolate next.
- Line the caramel dipped apples on the parchment paper and allow to set - you can place them in the fridge to speed this up.
- Now, melt chocolate wafers, two bags at a time, according to package directions.
- You may need to trim the base of the caramel a bit before dipping in the chocolate to get a more rounded base. Then dip the caramel apple totally into the chocolate and place back onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with your desired toppings.
- Continue with the remaining apples and last two bags of chocolate. Allow the chocolate to set and then enjoy!
- If not enjoying immediately, refrigerate apples until you're ready to serve - they should last 3-5 days refrigerated.