If you’ve ever been a fan of the store-bought kind or the semi-homemade version of this dip then you’ll love making it from scratch. It takes a small amount of extra effort by caramelizing the onions, but in my opinion, it’s totally worth it. The end result is light, really flavorful and not chock full of any unpronounceable ingredients.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Vidalia onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream (I used low fat)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used low fat)
- 1/4 cup whipped cream cheese (you could use regular, just make sure it's room temp)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat
- Add the onions and 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook the onions until they are caramelized - for me, this took about 45 minutes. Be careful not to burn them and stir them frequently
- When they're caramelized, remove them from the heat and set aside to cool
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients and then add in the cooled onions
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and stir again before serving
I cannot believe that it is still. snowing. Ugh. When will Spring arrive in New England?! Looks like we’ll be making the household staple a couple more times before...
These are the only chocolate chip cookies that my mother has ever admitted to liking. Ever. That sounds like an accomplishment to me. However, don’t be mistaken – kids...
There’s an ridiculously good restaurant in Bermuda called the Waterlot Inn . They make the Caesar salad table-side at that restaurant and it’s delicious. I’ve always wondered about making...
This is another one of Christina Tosi’s delicious creations from Momofuku Milk Bar in NYC. If you want a really good, different kind of sweets cookbook, this is the one...
Mills Tavern is one of the best restaurants in town (Providence, RI) and has some sentimental value to me and my hubby. It was where he took me on...
This recipe is by far the best corn muffin recipe I’ve tried yet. They’re super moist, just sweet enough and it works perfectly in the giant muffin pan I...
This week I had Henry’s smash cake session with Beth Ludwig of Ludwig Photography, my go-to photographer for the kids. She managed to capture my wiggle bugs (and the smash...
This cake is truly magical. Not only is it totally delicious but its whimsical look made it the perfect choice for Henry’s 1 year photo shoot and smash cake...