Thai Lettuce Wraps
Summer is almost here, which means this is about the time I start trying to eat more healthy foods (I’ve at least gotta try, haha). These Thai Lettuce Wraps are high on our list of healthy dinners. Plus, they’re full of so much flavor (fresh ginger, garlic, scallions, basil) and are VERY easy to make! The lean ground chicken keeps the fat content low and it’s packed with so many hidden veggies.
This recipe comes from Jo Cooks, but I’ve changed the wrap to Boston Bibb Lettuce and added the lime scented brown rice to it, which I think really makes it feel like a more filling meal. (However, if you’re trying to eliminate carbs totally, just leave out the brown rice.) Also, a great tip I learned about using fresh ginger is that it’s much easier to grate if it’s frozen. When I buy my ginger I peel it and put it in a plastic bag in the freezer right away. That way, whenever I need it, it’s ready to go.
I cannot believe that my kids will be out of school in less than a month! It doesn’t feel close to summer in New England but, as well all know, that could change overnight. These Thai Lettuce Wraps are also a go-to summer meal for us because I can prepare the filing in the morning and refrigerate it until dinner time. That way when we get home from the pool tired and hungry, all I have to do is warm up the filling and make the brown rice. For us, summer is about quick, simple (but delicious) meals. These Thai Lettuce Wraps meet that criteria. Hope you enjoy these!
Thai Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 cup cole slaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1 red pepper sliced thinly
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 scallions finely chopped
- 5 leaves basil finely chopped
- 1 head Boston Bibb lettuce
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1-2 limes
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Once it's hot, add in the ground chicken and sauté until it is no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the fresh garlic and ginger and saute for an additional minute or two.
- Next, add the red curry paste and hoisin sauce and mix well to totally coat the chicken.
- Toss in the coleslaw mix and sliced red pepper and mix well until everything is evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Lastly, before serving, add in the chopped scallions and basil.
Lime Scented Brown Rice
- While you're preparing the chicken and veggies, cook the brown rice according to package directions. Once the rice is cooked, squeeze in the juice of 1-2 limes and stir well.