If there’s a little one in your life that loves airplanes – this cake is for them! My middle child, Henry, turned 4 this year and he is OBSESSED with all airplanes. When I asked what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday it a was a no-brainer – “I want an airport, Mom.” Sure thing – an airport! That’s an easy cake to make…..??? So, we went the easy route, i.e. incorporate toys that they want and – Bingo – the Airport Cake is a hit.
I used the recipe for this really easy Chocolate Sheet Cake that is super moist and just full of quintessential classic sheet cake deliciousness. It’s also a plus that it’s a fuss-free, easy recipe. As far as decorating goes, I bought these Wilton Sugar Sheets on Amazon in silver and white (you could also make your own fondant or buy pre-made fondant). The sugar sheets were really easy to work with and I literally used a paper cutter to cut them into the sizes I needed. Next, the frosting. I just made a batch of my favorite whipped vanilla buttercream, dyed it green and used a star tip to make the “grass”. Lastly, and most importantly, the airplanes. I also bought these airplanes on Amazon – they were small and lightweight and came in a bunch of different colors and styles. What would we all do without AMAZON?? Seriously. It’s a lifeline, I may or may not have a problem.
In other news, things have been quiet around here because we just got back from vacation and school is officially out for summer – the end of the year was just busy and full of craziness. AND, I’m working on a new and exciting project! I will share more with you once it develops but the project is a dream of mine that I’m pursuing and also incorporates the blog, so I’m really excited about it. I promise to get back to more regular posting now that the kids are out of school and will be home full time… 😬🙄 I really will try, haha.
- 1 recipe Chocolate Sheet Cake
- 1 recipe Whipped Vanilla Buttercream + green gel food coloring
- Wilton Sugar Sheets - silver/gray and white
- Toy Airplanes
- Follow the full recipe for the Chocolate Sheet Cake.
- Make a batch of the whipped vanilla buttercream that is in the recipe for Funfetti Cupcakes and add green gel food coloring until you've reached the desired color green.
- Cut the silver and white sugar sheets (or fondant) into rectangles to create your runway. Use a little bit of frosting to stick the sugar sheets to the cake and the white strips to the runway.
- Using the star tip, make little dots of frosting around the runway to create the grass.
- Place the airplanes on the runway and you're ready to go!